Tuesday, November 23, 2010

2 Good Days

Israel's teacher communicates with how his day went by filling out a "smiley" sheet.  For each activity during the day, she judges his performance on how many times he has to be redirected, reminded or talked to.  There is also room for comments like, "Spit on classmate" or "stabbed someone with pencil" or more common, " wouldn't listen, climbed under desk."  I promised him that if he got all smileys on Monday (yesterday) that I would bring him Subway and eat lunch with him.  He got all smileys yesterday, so we had a special lunch together today.  When I arrived, his special ed teacher said he was very excited about our lunch, and had been talking about it all day.  That made me feel great.  While I know he liked his lunch, I could tell how much the noise of the lunchroom was bothering him.  All the kids who were sitting near us, were asking me questions, and I found myself feeling very shy and awkward.  It led me to wonder, once again, if I am Autistic too.  I have always been painfully shy, and find it awkward and difficult to start a conversation with people I don't know.  It's a wonder I am married, my husband is very charismatic and outgoing and I am quite introverted.  Since my boys have been diagnosed, I have been learning more and more about the spectrum, and I think I have a lot of characteristics of Autism.  Then again, I think everyone has at least some characteristics.  Too bad I didn't get a savant skill.
With our short week over, we are all looking forward to five days of sleeping in and hanging out together.  Many movies will be watched!  I am thankful for my beautiful family.  There are few days that pass when I don't shake my head and wonder how I got so lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment