Friday, March 18, 2011

Too Many Doctors!

This has been a week full of doctors, again.  Most of our visits were for Zach's dental procedure yesterday.  Wednesday he had a full physical exam, to be sure he would be OK with anesthesia, then directly to the dental office for a complete set of X-rays since the hospital's equipment was down.  That same evening Israel had an ear infection so we ended up in the ER, then yesterday was Zach's procedure, which had he and I in the hospital for half the day.  It was a stressful morning, he was so hungry and kept reminding me how bad his stomach hurt.  He was scared but brave, and in the end, he did OK.  They extracted his 3 top, front teeth, due to excessive wear, then he got 4 crowns and some fillings.  He has really weak teeth.  While he was under, they also drew some blood, and he will have a whole battery of testing done for a medical diagnosis of Autism, and to check lead levels (can also weaken the teeth, so that makes sense) and thyroid testing.  The testing was done by my request, because his special ed teacher recommended it due to his unpredictable aggression.  Of course, when he was in the doctor's office for his physical, he was acting so good and easy going, so she was questioning why he was diagnosed with Autism.  I am not sure how to feel about that.  There are definite characteristics that are autistic, the speech delay, the clumbsiness, the jargoning (which is non-existent these days), the shakey hands and poor fine motor skills, the sensory issues...but part of me wonders with both of my kids, if they are misdiagnosed.  For instance, with Zach, most of the symptoms he is exibiting could be for autism or lead poisoning.  For Israel, most of his issues could be autism or ADHD.  They were both diagnosed as autistic, but only educationally, not medically.  Part of me wanted to argue with the doctor when she questioned why Zach was tested for autism, but part of me wondered about the other things.  I have read that most autistic children have secondary diagnoses, so maybe it is just that.  They both have autistic characteristics, but there are other issues as well.  At any rate, we should soon find out about Zach's lead levels, something I have been curious about for a while, and Israel will have his first appointment to get the ball rolling on testing for ADHD on Monday.  So hopefully, before I get back to work, we will have a clearer picture of what is going on with both of them.  I really need to know with Israel, he has gotten so bad lately that he is continually bringing out the worst in me, and I feel like such an ugly person.  It has made me aware of how desperately I need better ways of dealing with my stress/anger when dealing with him.  Not that I think I can just make all our problems go away by medicating my children, but it will certainly help us as a family, if everyone has the metabolic balance they need in order to be happy.  When Israel acts out, I can tell he is wishing he could control it, and I can also tell that he absolutely cannot do so.  What a torment that must be for him.  I am sorry it has taken so long for us to get him the help he needs.  The truth is, it is only because I have lost my job (thus, qualifying us for medical assistance as a secondary insurance) that I have been able to afford all these doctor appointments. 
Zach is really upset about his teeth, about the ones that are gone, and even about the ones with the crowns, but it was necessary, and I know he will get over it in time.  He opted to go to school today, and other than directly after coming off the anesthesia, only complained of pain once last night.  He is such a tough, resilient kid, and I never cease to be amazed by him!  Israel has some way to go, but as a family, we will all get through it together.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I totally see...where you're coming from. You're doing what you can/must...while you're not working; no one could ask more, from you. You are after all...only HUMAN!
    My boys, have "plenty," of their own "issues." *It makes me, wanna "pull my hair out," too...MOST days! That's also, partly why...I have yet...to STOP smoking.*
    You're getting your "house," in order...feel ACCOMPLISHED!

    ReplyDelete