Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recovering Nicely

Well, Israel is now 2 days post-arm cast, and he is beginning to use his arm amazingly well.  Despite seeing the x-ray of a well-healed bone, I am still a nervous wreck when I see him running or fighting with his brother. He is quite prone to tripping, which is how the arm got broken in the first place.  Being forced to write with his left hand for 7 weeks, he is now ambidextrous and I found it quite amusing to see him sitting down to do homework, a pen in both hands, working away like a madman.  The coolest thing is, his penmenship as the same with either hand, which I find pretty impressive.  He was really worried about his arm when they took the cast off, and shed a good number of quiet tears in the doctors office, not wanting to move his arm or bend his fingers.  I had to set a time limit on him as to how long he was allowed to leave his jacket and mitten on after we got home, and had to coax him into a much-needed bath to revive his dry, flakey skin.  After the bath, he discovered he could bend his fingers much easier, and he hasn't looked back since.  I am happy he's doing so well with it.  I really didn't know what to expect since he is my guy who really doesn't handle transitions well. 
Zach is still walking on tiptoes due to spraining his foot a week and a half ago.  Though its not broken, he is still favoring it which makes me wonder if its time to get a second opinion.  I do catch him running on his tiptoes sometimes, and jumping gingerly on it, which leads me to believe this one may not be something to worry about.  Which is a relief, since our family has had 3 visits to the emergency room since December. 
Zach has a dental appointment scheduled for mid-March, which he will have  done at the hospital under anesthesia.  I am nervous about the whole thing, particularily the cost of it, if I get a job and lose our Medical Assistance.  But, as always, we will play it by ear and do what we can. 
I had a promising job interview last week, and will be going to that office to shadow for a few hours today.  While I am very excited at the prospect of having 2 incomes again, I am worried about how Zach will handle it when I go back to work.  I don't think Israel will be affected too much, because my husband will be here for them after school, and Israel and Garrett have a special bond, just like Zach and I do.  Zach is a little too attached to me, but the last few months have shown great improvement in his allowing Garrett to entertain him or get him what he needs.  Time will tell.  I was not unemployed by choice, and we definitely cannot afford to live on one income very much longer.  I can only hope that our extra time together was as rewarding to them as it was to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm SURE it was... 0;) <3 How did it go, today? Nathan had hospitalization, 'round Zach's age too.(dental) It went fine. Not sure on cost, ours...was covered.

    ReplyDelete